[GRLUG] Shared to VPS questions

AJ Hekman ajhekman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 08:52:18 EST 2012

On 12/24/12 11:55 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
> EC2 is not for the faint of heart. Personally, I use prgmr.com. It's
> very cheap, and my uptime is very good. There are absolutely no
> frills, though; you get a server whose console you access only via
> ssh, and you get billing invoices via email that you can pay via
> paypal or check.
Could you expand on this? I haven't found EC2 to be any more difficult
to work with. Is there a gotcha I'm missing?

Ben,
The free tier of AWS gives you a micro EC2 instance suitable for bursts
of activity. It may not perform to your expectations if your load is
constant. If you don't need the other parts of the AWS family, going
with linode may be a good place to start out. You could also offload
your static resources to AWS S3/Cloudfront while keeping your dynamic
resources on linode. You can CNAME your S3 to make it look more polished
to anyone who might see it's address.