[GRLUG] Burn up the CPU - NOT LINUX

desert frag desertfrag at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 12:39:09 EST 2012

I run a few different distributed computing projects mostly 24/7 on a few quad core cpu's.  While it's never happened to me I've heard plenty of stories about burning up cpu's but mostly in the old days where it took just seconds, especially if the heat sink was put on improperly or forgotten altogether.  It seems to be somewhat less of an issue now with lower voltage cpu's, improved heat sinks, better ventilated cases, and thermal monitoring in bios where yes, it many circumstances the default setting was no monitoring.

I monitor temps with the command 'sensors' as well as running the gui equivalent xsensors.  When the temps go above 58C in the winter it's usually a sign of dust build up so out comes the air compressor for a good blasting.  Ambients are just too warm during the summer to run fun tilt unless the cpu's are clocked way back.

A lot of people are using gpu's these days to run projects.  I've heard the failure rate is pretty high as vid cards simply aren't designed to run high loads for such long durations.