[GRLUG] X forwading question

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Aug 1 22:42:21 EDT 2012

I have used X forwarding many times conneting to a remote machine, .. so,
what the heck, I thought I'd try it worked over a reverse tunnel (i.e. ssh
to a machine that has a reverse tunnel to a 3rd machine).

Connection successful; Firefox launches (apparently from the 3rd machine,
as there IS no firefox on the machine 'in the middle'), OK so far..

Now, here's the weird part: Firefox WORKS just fine, but it is aparently
using the *network* on that *local* machine! In addition, if I disconnet
the link used to launch Firefox, Firefox STILL RUNS!

Never seen this behavior in a point-to-point connection, but I would
expect it to not work at all in this situation, not run, apparently, on
the LOCAL machine.

Is there any explanation for this behavior? Any thoughts on how to get it
working?

	Lee