[GRLUG] hardware specs help

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 10:47:48 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM, John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 09:26:18AM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
>> Should be fine for that.
>
> Huh.  If I opt for the 14.1" display (same resolution as the 15.6") I
> can get the i5 2450M (still only 2 cores, plus hyperthreading) for ten
> bucks LESS.  Are display panels still that expensive?

Depends on the type of display. There's a *lot* of variation in the
flatpanel market, and laptops sit (or sat, before tablets) on the
bleeding edge of that.

If anyone who sees this knows a good primer on flatpanel types,
display latency and buffering, viewing angles, subsampling,
reliability...please provide a link to it? I used to have a link to an
excellent primer, but I have no idea where it went.

If display viewing angles aren't something you're terribly worried
about, you might start looking at battery life. The i3 will probably
have a better battery life than the i5.