[GRLUG] gui on a server

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Apr 6 17:12:37 EDT 2012

>When *I* was a kid (early 20's) the gui was started at a runlevel.
>Runlevel3 was the command line, runlevel5 got you the gui.  Startx
>actually changed the runlevel.

are u sure?  back on igdrassil and friends startx was for running the X server in runlevel 3.  runlevel 5 ("init 5") always implies a display manager - although current display managers support autologins.

letting a display manager run is a good thing.  they are integrated with keyrings, etc... so u get the full desktop experience.

--
Adam Tauno Williams