[GRLUG] GRLUG site

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 13:08:02 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 12:58 -0400, David Pembrook wrote:
>> At the time all we had was the mailing list. I though a wiki would be
>> perfect. It worked for many years. I still think a wiki is the way to
>> go. They are designed to let the group edit and maintain content.  Still
>> need someone to keep it patched and secure.
>
> I dunno.  I saw the Program Directory for an active LUG for ~6 years
> [back in the halcyon days of the Dot Com bubble].  One real problem
> is.... why a site?  It is *very* hard to make a LUG site, find
> consistent editors, etc...
>
> If the site said "we exist", a link the list, and possibly a schedule of
> events.  There just isn't anything else to put there.
>
> We once played with the idea of a members directory and some other
> random concepts, none of which went anywhere - mostly because these are
> redundant of this available elsewhere.
>
> I suppose a link to the GRLUG planet would be a good idea - that
> contains probably all the 'content' the group has to offer.

If something like MediaWiki were to be the front-facing image of the
LUG, I'd probably put:

* A calendar view of upcoming events
* An inlined view of the planet with links to entries
* Links to additional resources (mailing list, IRC channel, etc)

The rest of the wiki would be user scratch space. I can even include a
web interface for poking at the IRC channel, demonstrated here:
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Special:WebChat