[GRLUG] GRLUG site

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:59:27 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Roger Roelofs <roger.roelofs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Google groups aren't perfect.  I remember when the jquery mailing list
> moved from using google groups to a forum because too much spam was
> getting through and the moderation tools weren't fine grained enough
> to allow the admins to deal with it effectively.  I'm not sure our
> group is big enough to attract that much spammer attention tho.
>
> I'm ambivalent.  Whatever works bets for list admins is fine with me.

I've found restricting posting rights to verified users keeps all of
the spam off of the list. For the GRWebDev and GRPUG Google Groups,
the first time someone posts, a list admin has to approve that post.
From then on that person's post are let through without moderation.
Google also sends admins a list of likely spam posts that are waiting
for moderation. It's easy to clear out the spam that way. The
moderation really isn't bad - it even works well on the mobile browser
- especially if you have a few admins to spread the approval duties.

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Not a real fan of it, myself, but I don't have a good alternative, if
>>> change is a must.
>>
>> Also, if shinobu is going away, I'd like to see an archive of the
>> mailing list up on archive.org.
>> --
>> :wq
>>
>> --