[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - net neutrality

Philip J. Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 18:59:29 EDT 2011

On Sep 23, 2011, at 2:52 PM, Bob Kline wrote:

> Yes, there's all that. But some
> kind of regulation is often needed.
> AT&T worked well as a regulated
> monopoly for something like three
> generations - it's what made universal
> service come about.

I don’t know about you, but I clearly remember that days when you though about using the phone to call long distance within the US and really thought about it when calling overseas (and then probably didn’t). You might recall that you used to not be able to even install your own telephone let alone an answering machine. That’s not what I call working well.

> But I take your point more generally.
> The government's current war on the
> private sector is not doing any of us
> much good…

Again, this is nonsense. Business don’t operate in a vacuum, We the People have the right to regulate businesses so as to force them and their customers to realize the complete cost of doing business—both in physical and human terms.

The fact is that the concentration of wealth in this country is at the highest level that its been in decades. If there’s a war, it's one of the rich on the middle-class and poor—and guess who’s losing?

Phil