[GRLUG] Local ISP's (was NOT LINUX - net neutrality)

Matthew Seeley matthew at threadlight.com
Fri Sep 23 17:35:59 EDT 2011

Not to sidetrack this fun conversation but,

When we mention 'competition' in ISP's in Grand Rapids -- can anyone provide a list of recommendations for high speed internet providers (where 'high speed' means "reliably pull down 3Mbps or greater"? Is there something that a reasonable, tech-savvy person can do to support the little guy here?

The only ones I know of are Comcast, AT&T, Clearwire. I'd love to know about alternatives, if they're are any.

Everyone else that I know of either doesn't serve our area, or just resells one of the above (I was told that Iserv's DSL is just AT&T DSL resold, for instance, at about 50% markup. Last time I talked to them, they also wanted to lock residential users into two year agreements as well).

This is just my personal opinion, but I certainly don't feel like theres any competition here.

And I'm not even talking about suburbs, I'm in downtown grand rapids, just blocks away from US Signal's Datacenter, but I can't get home internet faster than 8mb (and then, only through comcast), and I can't get DSL at all. (AT&T keeps sending technicians, apparently the phone lines are in a huge state of disarray…) Even if AT&T fixes the phone lines, the fastest they'll let me have is 6mb.

Is there a 'locally owned' and/or not questionably unethical high speed ISP that people in Grand Rapids can support?

--
Matthew Seeley
Threadlight Systems