[GRLUG] FYI - old mysql and new gear

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:32:21 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:22 PM,  <scott.tanner at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm going to try using affinity to limit the CPU access and run a few
> benchmarks - should be an interesting test.
>
> I've heard there's a fair amount of overhead when running MySQL in virtual
> machines, specifically due to the abstraction layer between the raid
> controller and guest.  It would be interesting to test, but difficult to
> setup now that the server is running in production - It doesn't look like
> you can limit the number of processors for Dom0.

You're running Xen? Good time to mention this here, I guess.
O'Reilly's having a half-off back-to-school deal on eBooks with the
code "B2SDEAL" until the 28th.

So you can get the Book of Xen for $20, instead of the $50 you'd pay
for a print copy. I picked up a copy, but I haven't had time to dig
into it yet. (Conveniently for me, the authors of that book own and
run the VPS provider I go with for RosettaCode. They split sales 50/50
for eBooks, too, so it works out nicely for them)

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781593271862.do

> We purposely don't run anything else on these servers to reduce any
> contention, so limiting the CPU's isn't a very big deal, however wasting 4 /
> 16 cores  (real / +HT) is pretty silly.

Set up MySQL slaves on the same box? Use some for handling workload,
others as part of a live backup solution?

The otherwise unused CPUs will still go to a good cause, though,
handling IRQs, running cron jobs, etc.