[GRLUG] FYI - old mysql and new gear

scott.tanner at comcast.net scott.tanner at comcast.net
Thu Sep 22 12:22:45 EDT 2011

I'm going to try using affinity to limit the CPU access and run a few benchmarks - should be an interesting test.

I've heard there's a fair amount of overhead when running MySQL in virtual machines, specifically due to the abstraction layer between the raid controller and guest. It would be interesting to test, but difficult to setup now that the server is running in production - It doesn't look like you can limit the number of processors for Dom0.

We purposely don't run anything else on these servers to reduce any contention, so limiting the CPU's isn't a very big deal, however wasting 4 / 16 cores (real / +HT) is pretty silly.

Thanks guys!
Scott