[GRLUG] fstab nastiness

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Sep 21 10:47:27 EDT 2011

I have a USB drive with two partitions: one vfat and one ext4.  The
/etc/fstab entries are as follows:

UUID=[snip]     /media/backup   ext4    rw,user,auto            0       0
UUID=[snip]     /media/HITACHI  vfat    rw,user,auto            0       0

After mounting each partition `mount' returns:

/dev/sdb2 on /media/backup type ext4 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=jtr)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/HITACHI type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=jtr)

This is as expected, showing each partition is read-write and owned by
me.  However, I can write only to the vfat partition and not the ext4
partition.  Am I missing an ext4-only option?
--
john-thomas
------