[GRLUG] apache and mysql run at startup

Jeff DeFouw mrj at plorb.com
Sun Sep 18 00:34:46 EDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 11:31:24PM -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> (Running Ubuntu 11.04 with classic Gnome desktop.)
>
> I've installed Ubuntu versions of apache and mysql on 11.04. But they
> won't run at startup. I've tried re-installing a couple of times, but
> that didn't help.
>
> Stuff I've looked at seems to suggest that the Ubuntu installations are
> supposed to be set to run at startup.

Starting mysql and apache2 at startup should be the default when you
installed them.  Something must be getting in the way.  You are able to
start them manually, through the system startup programs?

mysql is controlled by upstart.  upstart should run it as soon as the
filesystems are mounted and the network layer is configured.  The
"status mysql" command might tell you something.  Mine says "mysql
start/running, process 1269".

--
Jeff DeFouw <mrj at plorb.com>