[GRLUG] Last Night and Next Week

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 13:51:47 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Mike Williams <knightperson at zuzax.com> wrote:
> So what are the priorities for choosing a meeting place? In No Particular
> Order, I can think of...
>
> 1. location (apparently Southwest quarter for most of us, although I prefer
> closer to downtown)
>
> 2. open late
>
> 3. wifi
>
> 4. food
>
> 5. coffee / tea / latte
>
> 6. no requirement to buy the above
>
> 7. available space
>
> 8. available outlets
>
> 9. beer (which rules out most places other than The Warehouse)
>
> -------------
>
> Geek Group's Leonard Street Labs meets at least 3, 7, 8, probably 2, but not
> (?) 1.

Tried LStL. Didn't work out, as people just didn't show up. It's in a
horrible location; halfway between the freeway and Wilson. I'd rather
not go back there, as being there feels like it carries an implicit
obligation to assist, and I'm compatible with them in those areas.

> The Starbucks seemed to meet 1, 3, 5, and 6, but not so much 2, 7, and 8.

Ditto the Biggby's across the street.

> Dennys on 44th and 131 would hit 1-4 and 7, but not so much 6.

Once upon a time, I was part of a group of 100 or so people who would
descend upon Village Inn on Alpine. Not everyone ordered food. Not
everyone ordered drink. We did a $1 cover charge that went as tip to
the waitress who got stuck serving all of us.

As long as the waiting staff is happy and there's a minimum of orders,
I suspect a number of restaurants wouldn't mind a fluctuating group.

> Panera Bread on 44th and 196 would meet most of them but 2, but I think
> somebody had a grievance against them.

I think that's largely past. It's a nice location, but we might have
space issues again.

> What else do we want to suggest?

While the food isn't great, just about any McDonalds or Burger King
will meet most of the requirements.

Thinking back to the Village Inn example, you could reserve some
restaurant-that-meets-requirements back room and take a similar tact.
(I'd avoid places with Karaoke, though...the owner of the Village Inn
we were at liked us, but a manager came in with a vendetta and drove
us out with intentional scheduling conflicts and raised volume levels)