[GRLUG] Android Sys Admin & Network Applications

Dan Pilcheck pilcheck at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 13:59:23 EDT 2011

I'm definetely burned out on the term "app".
Here's what's in running in my pocket, do you know of a useful tool not listed?
I've only paid 5$ into the market so far, so most of these are free
for the taking.

====================
Network Tools

Screaming NetTools $3
- ping, nslookup, whois, dig, rbl check, netcat, a few other useful tools.

DroidSheep
-Recall firesheep? Session hijacker for Android; More fun than useful.

AndFTP
-Android FTP client, haven't decided if this or the following is more friendly.

ES File Explorer
- Great browsing interface. Local & LAN (scan for smb), FTP, dropbox.

PocketCloud
- RDP, VNC, full-featured. With the free version you can only have one machine
saved at time. I'll be buying the pro version soon. It's on sale right now.

Network Discovery
- IP and Port scanner - fast, clean, easy, and very handy!

Speedtest.net
- http://lmgtfy.com/?q=speedtest.net

Wifi Analyzer
- Shows signal strength on pretty graphs.

DroidWall
- Easy firewall, usefuldepending on how paranoid you are.

Network Info II
- Quick and concise connection info

ConnectBot
- ssh.

====================
Misc. Useful Applications

LazyDroid Web Desktop
- Web server for your phone, pretty neat and convienent to have phone
access in a browser tab!

Google Goggles
- Amazing, tkae a picture of something and it will scour the interwebs
to find similar object.
I now know the picture in our office is "Wheat field and Mountains" by Van Gogh.

Spirit Level Plus
- A 3 axis level, sadly, I use this more than anything, usually to see
how many matchbooks my roommate put under the pool table.

Gas buddy
- Gas Price watch for sations around you.

GPS Status & Toolbox
- Some interesting stats, heading, elevation, speed, lat. and long., etc.

Android Lost
- A better-than-nothing chance to get your phone back. A good set of
remote features.

Dolphin Browser
- The best browser I've used yet, gestures, tabs and features, oh my.

SetCPU $2
- fine grain control of cpu settings. Overclocking included.

Titanium Backup
- Complete system backup, Free version only allows 1 full backup at a
time (scheduled every monday @2am!)

====================
Honorable Mention

ProjectINF
- Top down multi-player shooter. Different characters and attributes.
My favorite at the moment.

Tank Hero
- Fast and fun blow 'em up arcade game.

Contract Killer
- Some criminals were never meant to see the inside of a courtroom...
So they hired you!

Futurednb.net
- Only the best Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Grime and Filthy dirty basslines!!!1

Also, I'm trying to tackle persistent MAC address changes if anyone
has an ideas about that.

Enjoy, Dan.

--
Who is to say that the next step in evolution is not a statistical
chance but rather a by-product of our own will?