[GRLUG] tethering

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sun Sep 11 21:55:40 EDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 08:27:41PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Brad Becker <bradjbecker at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry if a bit off topic but I'm a smartphone noob taking possession of a
> > Droid next week.  I've seen lots of talk about tethering smartphones to
> > pc's/laptops.  Does anyone here do this frequently out of their home or
> > office with satisfactory results?  I'm moving to a location which has a good
> > 4g signal.
>
> Works For Me. I've got a low-end android phone on T-Mobile.
>
> The worst that tends to happen is when you get dropped to a 2G tower
> when you're travelling. If you're stationary with good signal, I can't
> imagine it'd be really bad.

I tether my n900 to my laptop regularly with T-Mobile at 3G speeds.  It
works fine for email and general web browsing.  I've even done an
`aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade' over it with little trouble.
I use Joikuspot as my tethering app (I think it was $8; it's the only
software I've purchased aside from games in, well...ever).
--
john-thomas
------