[GRLUG] A Moment of Silence

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Wed Sep 7 15:30:39 EDT 2011

On 09/07/2011 03:10 PM, Ben Rousch wrote:
> I would like to ask for a moment of silence. I just decommissioned my
> company's main Samba virtual machine which had been running Ubuntu
> 6.06 LTS since 2006. There were times in between power outages when it
> had more than a year of up-time. I think I rebooted it only twice in 5
> years due to system instability. The VM host server is getting a fresh
> new VMWare ESXi 5 install, and the Samba VM will be replaced by Debian
> 6.
>
> What systems do you have fond memories of?

When I worked at Cornerstone my desktop stayed up for about a year and a
half twice.  That's the longest I ever had a desk in one place.

Unrelated to uptime I have a favorite story about a machine as well.

When I worked at Gospelcom our servers were all named after cities of
the Bible.  We had Jerusalem, Jericho, Ai, etc.

When we were considering getting a windows server to support a new
client that really needed windows we had to come up with a name for it,
and my suggestion was Gehenna.

"Gehenna is cited in the New Testament. In early Christian writing it
represents the final place[citation needed] where the wicked will be
punished or destroyed after[citation needed] the Resurrection of the Dead.

In the synoptic gospels Jesus uses the word Gehenna 11 times to describe
the opposite to life in the Kingdom (Mark 9:43-48).[17] It is a place
where both soul and body could be destroyed (Matthew 10:28) in
"unquenchable fire" (Mark 9:43)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna#New_Testament