[GRLUG] Tomorrow's Linux Social and FreeNAS at the WMSBTUG

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 11:43:56 EDT 2011

TL;DR
 * Reminder: Linux social tomorrow 8-10PM at M-6 and Byron Center Rd Starbucks
 * Also: FreeNAS at WMSBTUG tomorrow 6-8PM at New Horizons (RSVP req.)

Our regularly scheduled Linux Social is happening tomorrow for anyone
who like to attend. The Starbucks was unusually busy last time, so you
might end up outside.

What: Linux talk, Code hacking, General geekery
Where: Starbucks, 2355 Health Drive, Wyoming, MI 49519
When: Every Wednesday, 8PM - 10PM

However, the West Michigan Small Business Technology User Group is
also having a presentation about FreeNAS tomorrow.

FreeNAS™ is an Open Source Storage Platform based on FreeBSD and
supports sharing across Windows, Apple, and UNIX-like systems.
FreeNAS™ 8 includes ZFS, which supports high storage capacities and
integrates file systems and volume management into a single piece of
software.

You may not have run into the WMSBTUG, so I'll give you a few of my
impressions based on their mailing list and a meeting I attended about
18 months ago. They are a friendly mix of independent IT guys for
local small businesses without an IT department, and individuals
running IT departments for small businesses (like me). Some of these
guys handle 30+ clients, so they concentrate on efficiency and
minimizing hand-holding. On the PC and server side, they tend to
concentrate mostly on Microsoft technologies, but seem open to
anything that saves their customers money and makes their lives
easier.

The meeting will be 6PM - 8PM at New Horizons. This overlaps with the
GRMI Linux Social so I will probably not make it to Starbucks. The
last time I went to the WMSBTUG meeting we went out to Duncan Donuts
afterwards and I talked until about 10PM with a couple of interesting
semi-retired programmers.

If you would like to attend the WMSBTUG meeting, you should RSVP with
Richard Kenyon (rkenyon at hltechsolutions.com). There are food and space
constraints, so _please_ RSVP. If you show up without an RSVP, I will
not stop them from tossing you out into the street. ;)

New Horizons Learning Center
630 Kenmoor Ave SE, Suite #201
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
(2nd Floor)