[GRLUG] Lit Network Jacks

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Fri Sep 2 20:30:39 EDT 2011

On 09/02/2011 12:19 PM, John Wesorick wrote:
> Those wall plate switches are pretty neat. I'll have to file that away
> for a future project.
>
> Yeah, I saw some patch panels that do it too. We don't have POE, so
> that wouldn't work. I wonder why this isn't a thing. I can't be the
> only one who sees a use for it.

Without POE there isn't much juice going down an ethernet wire, so maybe
it's not even enough to run an LED reliably. Or that there's no good way
to pull even a small amount of load off the signal wires without
degrading the signal. Of course, you could put a small battery in the
stupid thing that would run an LED and signal-recognizing chip for a
couple of years or so. I think POE is the way to go for such things,
though.

I like the idea of the wall plate switches.