[GRLUG] FAIL!!! Xfinity mobile wireless

Matthew Seeley matthew at threadlight.com
Thu Sep 1 23:16:15 EDT 2011

Agree with the 3G issues, Sprint has awful backhaul in West Michigan, I
average like 100k down, on a good day. I called them two weeks ago and the
tech rep told me there were already "dozens" of support tickets open just
for our tower in Grand Rapids.

But the 4G should be decent (2mb to 4mb down), most anywhere in Grand Rapids
city limits, and some suburban areas.

I'm suprised to hear about the 4G issues -- one of the Jenison Clearwire
WiMax towers is literally across the street from you -- you should have had
perfect 4G WiMax signal.

- - -

If you want "4G" speeds, you can try Verizon LTE. Be warned though, they're
coverage is only slightly better than Sprint's 4G and if you dont get LTE
coverage, their CDMA "3G" service is not much better than sprints (it's
about 400k - 800k down in my experience)

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST&coveragetype=datacoverage4g

If you just want reliable 3G in West Michigan, AT&T or T-Mobile would be
best options. (AT&T pulls down about 1mb for me. T-Mobile pulls down 1mb in
suburban, and 2m - 4m in downtown HSPA+ "4G" areas) I don't think AT&T yet
sells an HSPA+ '4G' hotspot yet, only usb sticks.

In your position, you might want to look at T-Mobile next (if you haven't
already)

http://coverage.t-mobile.com/Default.aspx

Good luck!
--