[GRLUG] Ubuntu Oneiric

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Sat Oct 29 23:20:11 EDT 2011

OK, I'm really trying to be open-minded about it, but I'm not sure quite
how much more I will let Oneiric Ocelot tempt me to fling my laptop
across the room before I give up on it and go back to 10.10 or
something! Even on this second attempt (my desktop ran Natty until
recently), I am not getting along with Unity. I don't like the orange
and gray color scheme, but it's the least annoying of the only four
choices. I haven't found any way to install more themes, manually adjust
the colors, adjust things like window border thickness, or add any
shading. I can sort of understand the theory that it's the active pane
of the interface that you should be most concerned about and the
"chrome" should not distract from it, but this theory is taken way too
far! I can hardly tell where one window ends and another begins when
they're all the exact same shade boring gray.

Unity is responsive enough most of the time, but occasionally it
completely locks up for upwards of 20 seconds, which is just not
acceptable. I still don't like the window manipulation gadgets being in
the upper left, but I can accept that the Mac way is as sensible as the
Windows way once I get used to it. However, I doubt that I'm ever going
to agree with the designers that the menus should show up on the top of
the screen regardless of where the active window is, and it's especially
bad when they don't show up at all if the interface is in a bad mood.
Said bad moods happen way too often. Having media player gadgets drop
down from the speaker icon in the top bar is a decent idea, but when you
click on them, they should be able to actually launch the program if
it's not already up. Unless the player is an already open window,
clicking the entry does absolutely nothing. Launching amarok often
produces one of the 20-second lockups I mentioned, although I might be
able to blame that on KDE versus Gnome issues or amarok itself.

And for my final gripe of the evening, it should not have taken me as
long as it did (somewhere around two hours, I think) to figure out how
to get ANY of the various media players to stream DLNA or DAAP from my
media server / NAS box. None of them had it available at first, and
there was no rhyme or reason to give me a hint where to go to activate
the necessary plug-ins. It could be in the program's configuration menu,
a tick-box in software center, or a completely random-sounding separate
program to install, which may or may not even appear in the search if
you don't tell it to display "hidden technical items".

And one more thing (the above was going to be the final gripe until this
message reached the bottom of the thunderbird window): when Unity is
designed for laptops and netbooks, and thunderbird is the default mail
client, under no circumstances should a window open up with part of it
hanging below the physical screen. I about went nuts trying to add mail
accounts to t-bird when I couldn't find the Add Account button because
it was down below my keyboard. See, if there was a little bit of variety
to the window borders I would have been able to more easily tell that
that was what had happened! And I don't have all that small screen. If
bad things like that happen on a 1280x800, what about 600-line netbooks???

Here ends the rant. We now return you to your regularly scheduled
conversation.