[GRLUG] GNOME3 [Was: Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) released!!]

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Thu Oct 27 10:35:10 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 09:35:33AM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
> <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 08:31 -0400, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
> >> I installed Fedora 15 in a VM to check out GNOME 3.  Disaster.
> >> Terrible.  Apparently it needs more hardware than I can give it in a VM,
> >> which is odd given my machine's specs.
> >
> > Actually GNOME3 is quite lite;  but you *need* OpenGL acceleration.
> > "Need" as in "must have".
> >
> > People say things like "you need 3D acceleration" - that statement is
> > false.  If your OpenGL is working correctly you should be OK.
> >
> >>  However, GNOME 3 is now in
> >> Debian Sid so I installed Sid into a VM.  I rather like GNOME 3's
> >> interface (especially the dark theme in Debian).
> >
> > +1 I've found GNOME 3 to be very productive and stable.
>
> Request for clarification: I take it that Mesa's software rendering is
> insufficient? I would think it should be able to make for a tolerable
> experience as long as fancy effects like transparency are avoided.

I'm not sure of the reason(s) but when I installed F15 at the default
1024x768 with 3D acceleration (which has been pointed out is not a
requirement), two processor cores, and 2GB of RAM it kept falling back
to the old (classic?) interface.  After installing the guest additions I
could resize it and was able to get the new interface.  I am surprised
that it takes the guest additions to enable the fancier interface.  Of
course I may simply be further revealing my ignorance regarding the
inner workings of such things as Mesa verse hardware acceleration.  Or
OpenGL.  Or whatever.
--
john-thomas
------