[GRLUG] temperature problems

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Thu Oct 27 00:21:39 EDT 2011

My trusty Toshiba laptop runs awfully hot based on the gnome sensors
applet. If it's not reading true, it's at least showing something
related to temperature as the reading goes up under load and down at
other times. As I start writing this, it had just hit 98C and produced a
"Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled" message. What
worries me is that while the fan is blowing, it's doing so at far below
its fastest speed. I don't think the fan is just clogged or anything
because in Windows it will go much faster. It seems like the equation
for when the fan goes to what speed needs adjusting, but I don't know
where that is.

Any ideas how to fix this? OS is Ubuntu 10.10. The hardware is a Toshiba
a305-s6872, which is a core2duo centrino running an Intel GM45 chipset.