[GRLUG] Eye-Fi

John Wesorick john at wesorick.com
Mon Oct 24 10:56:57 EDT 2011

I've seen them on sale for $20 several times and thought about buying one
just to play with and also see if I could recommend them to people. I've had
a few people ask me about them. Since I'm in IT, I obviously know every
facet of every technology out there. I think they solve a very basic issue.
My wife always bugs me that I take too long to put photos on our server.
It's not that it's hard or takes long, it's just that you have to think
about/do it. It would be nice to do it automatically. The Pro model also
does geo-tagging, which is kind of neat. I've never seen a camera IRL that
does that, excluding smartphones. When I was looking at them before I think
I decided against buying one because of the lack of support for Linux to set
it up.

For picture frames, do it the Linux way and roll your own. Just take an old
laptop and gut it. Then you can do whatever you want and add features to
your heart's content. I built my own several years ago with Damn Small
Linux/McDPF. I wrote a photo import script on my server that
renames/resizes/rotates images automatically and dumps them in to my
Original Photos folder, and then the resized ones go to a DPF folder, which
is rsynced continuously to my DPF via Samba.