[GRLUG] Netflix on Linux?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 13:56:33 EDT 2011

It's not a technical requirement that the system be closed-source in
order to meet copyright holders' requirements. It's only necessary
that the cryptographic keys used not be freely available. If it were a
requirement that cryptography and/or content protection be
closed-source to be effective, we wouldn't have OpenSSL, GnuTLS or
GPG. Heck, we wouldn't have most of modern cryptography; the
algorithms are open and public. The point to them is that the keys are
all that need be private.

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Mike Williams <knightperson at zuzax.com> wrote:
> It's my understanding that this is exactly the issue. Still, it shouldn't be
> insurmountable. The solution would be closed-source, of course, but it could
> be done. Every so often I hear rumors that it's "almost ready", but I'll
> believe it when I see it.
>
> On 10/21/2011 04:11 PM, megadave wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I didnt even look at Netflix until I had acquired a Wii for my
>> son and noticed there was a Wii Netflix app.
>>
>> I suspect the various studios and copyright holders will NEVER let go
>> of the DRM that keeps Netflix from supporting anything
>> non-proprietary.

[snipppp]