[GRLUG] Netflix on Linux?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 13:51:12 EDT 2011

This is what HDCP is all about. Your component needs to be able to
support HDCP in order to say, "hey, yeah, I comply with the
requirements that people not be able to do X, Y and Z with this
content, including requiring that the guy I pass this stuff off to is
also HDCP-compliant." This is done with cryptographic keys and the
like.

At each step, HDCP requires that a component support HDCP for it to be
allowed to receive and process data. HDCP compliance also likely
requires not allowing someone to scrape or shunt unprotected data. It
all ends at your display device, which also has HDCP support. (At
least, if it's an HDMI or DVI device manufactured in the last few
years)

None of this eliminates the analog hole, but it *is* designed to
prevent practical lossless duplication of the original. Even if you
could take the final 1080p bitmap each frame decoded to, you wouldn't
be able to re-encode that to a decent redistributable format without
losing picture quality to lossy compression.

So, for end-to-end support, you would need:

* An HDCP-compliant browser video playback plugin.
* An HDCP-complaint userland video layer the browser plugin can speak
to. (This would likely have to be via an X11 extension, likely
implemented by an HDCP-compliant X11 video driver)
* An HDCP-compliant kernel-mode video layer the userland video layer
can speak to. (This would likely be the kernel driver for the video
card)
* An HDCP-compliant video card (most (all?) NVidia and ATI/AMD video
cards already cover this)
* An HDCP-compliant monitor (trivial and cheap; I expect most or all
new monitors sold today are HDCP-compliant already)

*all* of the software components of this stack can be open-source;
what's relevant for the effectiveness of systems like this are the
cryptographic keys.