[GRLUG] Installs (Was: Netflix on Linux?)

Kevin McCarthy signals42 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 14:20:48 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, what with all the "installfest"-like activity we end up doing
> from time to time, it'd be really handy to set up a PXE boot box we
> could attach to a wired network, which would offer a variety of
> installers and network tools.

While this would probably not be appropriate for "installfest" activity
because it pulls everything over the WAN, it's pretty close to what you are
looking for:

netboot.me <http://www.netboot.me/>

It's really just iPXE <http://ipxe.org/> chainloaded from GRUB. I haven't
actually tried their image, but I do have a NIC with iPXE installed in its
flash that I've pointed at their servers. It seems like it would be quite
handy for random installs of Linux/BSD distributions.

-Kevin