[GRLUG] D255E netbook dual boot - boot loader gone

Bill Littlejohn billl at mtd-inc.com
Thu Oct 6 16:11:53 EDT 2011

I've got this D255E netbook that was setup dual-boot Win7/Ubuntu 10.10 UNR.
My daughter ran the system restore (damnit I should have removed that
option from grub) and it destroyed the boot loader making nothing
bootable.
She also tried getting into the BIOS and failed the password prompt
which makes it boot only from the internal HD.
So I opened it up and removed the internal HD so that it will boot
from USB flash drive, then connected the main HD with a USB adapter.
So now the question is; how to reinstall a working grub on the HD?

Does grub care that the drive ID is going to change when it get's
installed back into the netbook? i.e. It's /dev/sdb now, but will be
/dev/sda when installed where it's supposed to be.
It's currently running Ubuntu 10.10 UNR from a flash drive.