[GRLUG] Power line network adapters

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 23:03:15 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Dan Taylor <slash at darkhaven.net> wrote:
> On 10/02/2011 07:46 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 12:04 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> If one is utilizing phone wiring, don't overlook HomePNA - I've had
> great success in doing point to point links over a single copper pair
> using old Netgear HPNA 2.0 to 10mbps ethernet bridges I snagged off eBay.
> Some 2wire and other DSL home routers already support this out of the box.
>
> The advantage is much farther distances than ethernet and still being
> able retain use of POTS and DSL on the same pair.

Even if you're not using your landline phone wiring, that wiring
should still be good enough to pass a modicum of data around at good
speed. If you've got a typical home wiring setup with two phone lines
going to multiple jacks, you could probably use some kind of
shared-bus tech to pass data around, with automatic channel bonding
across the working pairs. I believe RJ11 was typically limited to
three pair, but I've rarely seen homes wired up for more than two.
(The ones wired up for more, I've generally been an occupant...and may
have been one of the ones to make them that way.)