[GRLUG] RAID levels

Richard Nienhuis richardnienhuis at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 21:29:51 EDT 2011

To bring this back to its actual application...  Its a personal music server
made from scrap parts.  It doesn't require 5 9's uptime of hands free
operation.  The most likely failure mode of this thing is that one day a
drive will fail on reboot/startup.  Hot spare isn't going to save it from a
second drive failure at startup.  For its application integrity is a
priority over everything else.  Downtime is a relatively inconsequential
cost.

Hot spare is good if you have an extra one available.  In this case the 5
drives are of better use in RAID 6 rather than just having one sitting
around.  If he gets another drive at some point then its painless to add it
as a hot spare.  Plus I don't think saving a few minutes is worth the extra
hassle since if a drive does fail he is probably going to be right there.
 That array will have a rebuild time of 7 hours or so.  Not a big time
savings.