[GRLUG] Power line network adapters

Dan Taylor slash at darkhaven.net
Sun Oct 2 20:40:42 EDT 2011

On 10/02/2011 07:46 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 12:04 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Anyone have any experience with these?  I'd like to put my server down
>>> in the basement but the basement is finished and I don't know how to
>>> run cable through finished walls with insulation then through a
>>> finished basement ceiling.  So seeing that Belkin has a 50% off sale,
>>> I can get a power line adapter set for $50.  Just wondering if these
>>> work well, or even just O.L.
>> If they have similar behavior to X-10 units, then they'll only work on
>> the same phase. (You've got two phases coming in. Each 120V circuit
>> uses only one of these phases. To get a 220V circuit, you use both
>> phases.)
> +1  X-10 is horrible.  Some other over-the-power contraption I tried
> years ago also stank.  I'd give the entire basket of related
> technologies a "fail".
>
> If you want reliable, or high-performance, connectivity the *only*
> solution is to install copper.
>
> Do you have silver-satin [phone jacks] available?  Typically 10MBps
> ethernet will run without any issues for reasonable distances over old
> silver-satin wire provided there aren't any significant EMF sources.
If one is utilizing phone wiring, don't overlook HomePNA - I've had
great success in doing point to point links over a single copper pair
using old Netgear HPNA 2.0 to 10mbps ethernet bridges I snagged off eBay.
Some 2wire and other DSL home routers already support this out of the box.

The advantage is much farther distances than ethernet and still being
able retain use of POTS and DSL on the same pair.