[GRLUG] Power line network adapters

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Oct 2 19:46:49 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 12:04 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone have any experience with these?  I'd like to put my server down
> > in the basement but the basement is finished and I don't know how to
> > run cable through finished walls with insulation then through a
> > finished basement ceiling.  So seeing that Belkin has a 50% off sale,
> > I can get a power line adapter set for $50.  Just wondering if these
> > work well, or even just O.L.
> If they have similar behavior to X-10 units, then they'll only work on
> the same phase. (You've got two phases coming in. Each 120V circuit
> uses only one of these phases. To get a 220V circuit, you use both
> phases.)

+1  X-10 is horrible.  Some other over-the-power contraption I tried
years ago also stank.  I'd give the entire basket of related
technologies a "fail".

If you want reliable, or high-performance, connectivity the *only*
solution is to install copper.

Do you have silver-satin [phone jacks] available?  Typically 10MBps
ethernet will run without any issues for reasonable distances over old
silver-satin wire provided there aren't any significant EMF sources.

> You'll obviously also experience signal degradation the farther the
> signal has to travel, so keeping it on the same circuit would be
> ideal.

And for any other number of variables - type of conductor [romex !=
romex], number of junctions and distribution points, etc..