[GRLUG] cell phone question

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 21:01:39 EST 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 6:19 AM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:
> A major concern of mine regarding the non-roaming data phones is what
> happens with the maps and GPS? I'm most likely to be using GPS and
> Google Maps when I'm out of range of Sprint's data network, so can
> anyone using a Sprint piggy-backing network and Android phone comment
> on maps performance in the boondocks?

I've used OSMAnd+ for GPS duties when out of range of a data
connection.  It has provisions for downloading offline map, POI, and
routing data.  You can grab the entire midwest, northeast, etc. in a
single go.  It even does turn by turn directions in a multitude of
languages.

OSMAnd+'s user interface isn't quite as intuitive as Google Maps, and
offline routing is currently a little slow.  But it makes use of the
excellent OpenStreetMap data, and is actively developed, and has
improved noticeably in the time I've used it.  There's currently a
bounty for better offline routing - a problem already solved in
several other FOSS GPS apps, the code just needs to be ported.

--tim