[GRLUG] Getting older, and getting that next generation involved

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 10:28:54 EST 2011

The LUG's getting older. I don't just mean as an entity, but as a demographic.

I'm noticing this because I ran LinkedIn's "InMaps" tool, which
categorizes your contacts into groups based on how many contacts they
share with each other. I wound up with three large groups. GRLUG, GRCC
and a third group not closely related to either GRLUG or GRCC.

I've got a very large number of connections to GRLUG members, and to a
number of GRCC staff. What I'm noticing, though, are that the
connections that exist (at least, those visible to me) between GRCC
and the GRLUG are few in number, and either indirect or tied to
long-standing staff and/or LUG members.

This gives me the impression that we need to bring in more blood, and
get that next generation of technohobbyists and sysadmins in here. We
need to get some renewed integration and interaction with the local
college-based LUGs and computer clubs.