[GRLUG] GRLUG Social Tonight

Kyle dontwantspam1 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 2 15:28:25 EDT 2011

On 11/02/2011 03:04 PM, Ben Rousch wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 2:09 PM, EDD<b.sunrise at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> So are we just finishing the projects tonight?  Since I haven't been able to
>> go for the last month, I don't really want to come in on the tail end of a
>> project.  I think I'll wait until something else gets started.  :)
>>
>> Elizabeth Day
> The projects are just an excuse to get together. Some people, such as
> myself, are only minimally involved in them. Many of us spend most of
> the time standing around and talking about all things computer and
> geek. I will probably hide in a corner so I can have some time to work
> on my GRDevDay talk.

Looks like I'll be able to make it tonight.

And, yeah, most of the time we don't even have an actively-worked-on
project outside of "Hey!  I've got an idea - let's see if I can get X to
do Y.  Anybody over on the other side of the table done this before?"
We've had a laptop taken apart and put back together at a coffee shop
table, a power supply, IIRC a wristwatch, etc.  Just kinda stuff that
springs up at the spur of the moment, largely.  One of these days if
Steve Romanow is able to make it when I can, we might be trying to get a
sound card of his soldered back together.  That sort of thing.  But
usually it's just talking.  Subjects range quite a bit:

- mathematics (fractals, formulae, optimization, algorithms, etc.)
- OS hacking
- hardware and/or hardware hacking
- fixing laptops of other people in the coffee shop when we're at a
coffee shop
- gaming (including a few weeks of active board and role playing games)
- programming (largely Python, some assembly)
- nostalgia over hardware from days gone by (the Amiga seems to be a
favorite)
- preservation/archiving of old media
- video conversion
- trains
- bicicyling
- politics in real life and fictional environments
- whatever anybody else is interested in

It's just not that structured, and nobody would care.  :)

- Kyle (with a decent mail client, finally)