[GRLUG] hpet

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Mon May 30 13:39:27 EDT 2011

A little followup.  I found the following
article, from December, 2008:

http://my.opera.com/PiklesOnFire/blog/index.dml/tag/hpet=disable

<http://my.opera.com/PiklesOnFire/blog/index.dml/tag/hpet=disable>Based on
Ubuntu Intrepid, the author blames
hpet, at least in part, for the error message I
see too.

Alas, the file alluded to, /boot/grub/menu.lst,
doesn't exist on my system, Kubuntu 11.04.
Or anywhere else that I can tell.  I did string
searches for hpet, and only found it referenced
once in /etc/bash_completion/qemu, where the
option is "-no-pet".

Anyway, the saga continues.  A quick google
search shows that you're having issues with
hpet it's a huge annoyance, and if you're not,
hpet will likely be off the radar screen.  What
I haven't seen is what hpet is even for, and
why it starts to become a problem. My system
will run stably until the next power flicker, but
when I have to boot, about have the time I
have that 10 to 12 minute wait while something
goes on.

    -- Bob