[GRLUG] UNO / Remoting LibreOffice [Was: May WMLUG Meeting Reminder]

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri May 27 16:55:50 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 15:44 -0400, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 01:54:55PM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 13:00 -0400, Steve Romanow wrote:
> > > I have f15 liveusb in both gnome3 and kde spins I will bring.
> > > Can you also cover running LO as a daemon?
> > That's pretty simple -
> > USERNAME='wwwrun'
> > SOFFICE_PATH='/usr/lib/ooo-2.4/program'
> > SOFFICE_ARGS='-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp'
> > SOFFICE_BIN='soffice.bin'
> > sudo -u $USERNAME $SOFFICE_PATH/$SOFFICE_BIN $SOFFICE_ARGS > /dev/null &
> > Much less complicated in 2.0 and later; no fussing about with headless,
> > framebuffers, etc...
> Running LibreOffice as a dæmon does...what?

Yes, the application will run and listen on a socket.  It provides a
COM/CORBA like remote-object framework called UNO.  All
OpenOffice/LibreOffice applications are just manipulating UNO objects.
Then you can use various UNO bindings to use LibreOffice from your PHP /
Python / etc... application.  You can use it to create documents,
convert documents, print documents, etc... [basically anything
LibreOffice can do - which is a lot]. Our e-commerce facilities use it
to produce PDF documents, DOC, and XLS documents..  In general it works
*much* better than the various document generation libraries that are
floating around the interwebs;  LibreOffice is a much more highly tested
solution.