[GRLUG] top-end wireless routers

David Hoppe dave at hopasaurus.com
Fri May 27 10:13:15 EDT 2011

First, anyone looking for a fun and comfortable place to work should
check outhttp://workthefactory.com/    You will meet some friendly
people and they have a fun work environment where you can get things done.

Dave,

I think I would start with separating the router and the wireless,
having these functions combined at home is a great convenience but soon
becomes a liability and major pain.

Get a decent router that will do what you want, someone mentioned
MikroTik.  Routerboard sells hardware with MikroTik already installed.
This one may be good for the Factory:http://routerboard.com/product/56

I know someone in the area using Routerboard.com equipment, he likes
it.  I can ask about getting a demo on this but can not promise that at
this time.

There are also several really good Router/Firewall distributions that
will take good care of you.  Just dig up a moderate box with a couple
nics and you are good to go.http://www.zentyal.org/  and
http://www.untangle.com/  are two that have some free and some pay
options.  If you are willing or can find someone willing to put in a
little work it is not hard to get exactly what you need with no
subscriptions.

Usually for access points I choose the 3com (now HP) access points.
These are better than the consumer grade stuff, but maybe not as awesome
as the Cisco equipment.  I can get you a demo of:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/HP-A7760-Single-Radio-802.11a-b-g-Access-Point-wireless-access-point/2107311.aspx

I would start with one access-point to see how it goes for a bit, then
add another if it is an issue.

I can let you try one out for a week to see if it will help.

These are mostly a personal preference based on past success, there are
a lot of good wireless products out there.

Would love to help more with this, just let me know what you need.

Have a great day,

David Hoppe