[GRLUG] top-end wireless routers

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri May 27 05:03:05 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 17:02 -0400, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> I'm looking for a good wireless router that is better than
> consumer-grade.  Here at The Factory (downtown coworking location) the
> wifi routers we've tried haven't been able to hold up under load.  I'd
> like to find something that can handle 20-50 clients well.  And of
> course each client could have quite a few open connections, some may
> stream video, skype, etc.

You need a Cisco Aironet.  Although 50 clients is pushing the physical
limits of wireless; but some of the Aironet's are dual-band which will
help.

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11579/index.html>  or even one of
the higher end models.

> As a bonus, I'd like a good management interface so if there is someone
> seriously hogging all the bandwidth, it's easy to identify that directly.

Aironets have every management feature you can think of and then 37
more.