[GRLUG] MIFI Choices

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Wed May 25 19:34:37 EDT 2011

I haven't heard anything about it in a while, but there was a proposed
"Internet Safety Act" a couple of years ago that would require anyone
that offers public Internet access has to keep two years of logs that
could be used to identify the person behind a temporary IP address. This
is a ridiculous amount of record-keeping for a small organization and
would make Comcast's proposal completely impractical. Unless they're
monitoring and recording everything at their end, which is an even more
disturbing prospect!

Honestly, I don't see what it would accomplish anyway. Unless you
require everyone to log in with a unique certificate, the most you're
going to get is a wireless MAC address, and those can easily be faked.

Wireshark depends a bit on the encryption used. With anything less than
WPA2 it behaves as you described, and two computers connected to the
same access point with the same password can "see" each other's traffic.
If you use WPA2, even with a known initial passcode, the encryption keys
negotiated for each connection are unique. You can still, in theory,
reverse the initial conversation and get the key, but it's much harder.