[GRLUG] WebDAV/Alfresco confusion

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed May 25 08:40:23 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 07:29 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 21:18 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > Win 7 seems to have removed its built in WebDAV client,
> <snip>
> > No, this is incorrect.
> <snip>
> > What syntax are you attempting to use when to mount the WebDAV share?
> 1. Trying to map drive to our share
>      -Enter either
>           \\ourserver.com:8081\alfresco\webdav (where the server
> forwards 8081 to 8080 on the alfresco box)
>       -or
>           http://ourserver.com:8081\alfresco\webdav
> In both cases I get this error:
>      Windows cannot access \\ourserver:8081\alfresco\webdav.
> If I enter \\ourserver.com:8081\alfresco\webdav into Windows Explorer, I
> get:
>     "There is no program associated to perform the requested action.
> Please install a program or, if one is alfready installed, create an
> association in the Default Programs control panel."

What message do you get if you try to map the WebDAV share to a drive on
the command line, like-

  "net use u: http://172.16.54.1:8080/dav"

Mapping on the command line will provide better error messages at least.

Some possible issues:
 - What authentication is in use?  There are settings on Windows that
control what forms of authentication are permissible for WebDAV.
 - Windows is ignoring the specified port.  Is it possible to setup a
mod_proxy on the Alfresco box to route port 80 to the service on 8081?
 - Does the hostname match what the client will see in the href
 - Does Alfresco support DAV, at least in the OPTONS response, from the
root "/".  For Windows the DAV server must claim WebDAV support in the
root collection - regardless of what collection is mapped.

> If I enter http://ourserver.com:8081/alfresco/webdav in Windows Explorer
> it opens the web browser and gives me a directory listing. This lets me
> open the file read only. But there is no way to upload the file once it
> has been saved as,modified, and resaved.
> Ubuntu Nautiluonnects nicely using:
>     dav://eric@ourserver.com:8081/alfresco/webdav

Of course, because GNOME rulez!