[GRLUG] AT&T's U-verse DSL service

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu May 19 08:24:29 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 08:00 -0400, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> On 05/19/2011 01:18 AM, Bob Kline wrote:
> > Re the modem,  I currently have a DOCSIS 2.0
> > cable modem owned by Comcast.  What was
> > involved in setting yours up?
> My prior modem was owned also (not rented).  I called them and told them
> I had a new cable modem.  I gave them the model & mac address.  It's
> possible they also optimized something on their end at that time also
> which helped the speeds.

Later DOCSIS version provide better upstream throughput; so a 3.0 should
easily beat a 2.0.  3.0 adds channel bonding, which is how it
accomplished much of the increase.  Their cable network will certainly
adapt to the DOCSIS level of your modem.

Note that DOCSIS 3 also adds IPv6 so your devices 'may suddenly' start
getting IPv6 addresses [via RA]. That is something to watch out for.