[GRLUG] Community based internet

Dagny Scott parsleyfirefly at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:28:04 EDT 2011

I can tell you what happened to the Grand Rapids WiFi initiative; the
company that was going to provide it was bought by Sprint and ended up in
lawsuits with the company that had exclusive rights to sell Sprint services
in West Michigan. At this point, with cellular data plans as common as they
are, the appeal of this program has been greatly diminished.

As for the Google fiber initiative, that hasn't been decided yet. Google put
out a "request for information" that allows cities to lobby for inclusion in
their Google Fiber for Communities project. No communities have been
selected yet.

Dagny