[GRLUG] print to file from web page inconsistent results

Roger Roelofs roger.roelofs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 09:47:50 EDT 2011

Eric,

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Eric Beversluis
<ebever at researchintegration.org> wrote:
> Here's something that I've wondered about for a while:
>
> (Using Linux and Firefox):
> I often like to use the print to file option to capture webpages as pdf
> or ps (another feature that M$ chooses not to include--at least not the
> option to print to a useable format).
>
> But while everything normally works nicely, with some webpages only the
> first (print) page or so of the web page gets printed to file.

9 times out of 10 this happens because the site is using css absolute
position for the main content.  This takes the entire page content out
of the normal document flow, so the print subsystem thinks there is
only one page.  If you need it badly enough, you can override the site
styles to fix this.  If you don't care too much about the style of the
page, you can turn css off and then print.

hth

--
Roger

Roger Roelofs