[GRLUG] virtual box/cpu speed"

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 00:48:59 EDT 2011

Not sure what's meant by the sweet spot
being at three processors.  Why?

A couple of observations.  Processors with six
CPUs have been available at popular
prices for a while now.  I take it if the sweet
spot is three, then the incremental performance
by having six is less than 2X - how much less?

The taskset command sets an affinity for a
CUP, which I take it is short of actually
being able to assign a process to a CPU,
and might be that way because one is competing
with the Linux scheduler.  But where physical
CPUs are actually available, isn't taskset a
way of taking advantage of an arbitrary number
of CPUs? i.e., performance doesn't actually
plateau as one adds CPUs?  That would be
true, if true at all, as long as there are always
enough processes that need a CPU.

So, again, what does a sweet spot of three
CPUs mean?

   -- Bob