[GRLUG] Eee PC

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 11:06:27 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM, John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:10:23AM -0400, David Wise wrote:
> > I have a friend with an EeePC 900 that I am considering picking up for my
> > wife. It originally came with Windows XP, but has been running Kubuntu
> for
> > some time now. I'll be wiping it and starting from scratch and am
> wondering
> > what the desktop environment or even distribution of choice is around
> here.
> > I am most leaning toward installing LMDE, but I am open to changing that
> > with the right arguments.

I have a EeePC 901 with 2GB RAM. It's basically the same as the 900 but
includes a crappy webcam and an Atom CPU. I've run regular Ubuntu and Ubuntu
Netbook Remix on it. It is plenty fast running these standard distros. The
SSD is screamin'.

> > I'm really looking for something with a decent amount of polish, but
> > preferably a relatively light footprint. I just saw Ubuntu Netbook remix
> > with the Unity desktop (whatever that is) and it looks quite intriguing.
> I'm
> > just kind of shying away from Ubuntu since I'd rather not have to
> reinstall
> > every six months.

Come on now. You could sit on an LTS release (Ubuntu 10.04) for up to 3
years or you can 'sudo do-release-upgrade' and upgrade over the Internet. I
had one desktop at work that I upgraded through every release from 6.06
through 10.04 without reinstalling.

> > It's an older EeePC 900 with I believe a celeron Mobile processor and an
> 8GB
> > SSD, but it has been upgraded to 2GB RAM. On second thought, is this even
> > decent deal for $100?

$100 sounds about right to me. I paid $280 for my 901 two years ago
including the 2GB RAM update and a 32GB SSD.

> The RAM will be a huge help.  The SSD is decent.  With USB storage it
> should be a fine system so long as you realize the limitations (video
> playback will be meh, etc.) of the platform.  Netbooks aren't just
> smaller, lighter laptops; they're a different breed altogether.

It does struggle with h264 (mp4) video and full screen YouTube. I haven't
really noticed any other problems.

--
 Ben Rousch
    brousch at gmail.com