[GRLUG] Firewall Distro

David Pembrook david at pembrook.net
Tue Mar 15 11:21:29 EDT 2011

On 3/15/2011 11:00 AM, Ben Rousch wrote:
> I'm running an ancient version of Smoothwall and it's really starting
> to show its age. What firewall distro or packages are folks using
> these days? All I use it for is inbound firewall, squid cache and
> transparent proxy, url filter, and dhcp. It sits in front of about 20
> users, so I think the router-based distros would be too small. I need
> some kind of GUI (web or curses), preferably one that doesn't make me
> think too much. If your suggestion is to configure it all on the
> command line, you will not win a cookie.

You might like untangle, http://www.untangle.com/

Dead simple install. It has a nice web interface and probably more
features than you need. That does come at the price of the hardware you
might need for it. I just turn off what I'm not using. I've deployed it
a few places and it works great. The vpn handling is pretty good too.