[GRLUG] Job searches - any good tips?

Rob Steenwyk rsteenwyk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 15:29:54 EDT 2011

I've seen a few references regarding companies not wanting to start new
people off straight into a Sys Admin position, and I completely understand.
With that said, I've been in the IT field for 4 years in weird hybrid help
desk/system admin roles. I have a lot of experience on the Windows side and
will absolutely not go to a company and start off on the helpdesk, it just
isn't happening, not unless I lose my current job and I am desperate :)

I know I have the experience to be a very solid system admin, and want to
transition off my current L2/L3 help desk position. I'm not the typical help
desk guy, there are often times where I am resolving issues for sys admins
at small to mid size companies. On the same token, I still get to take
password reset calls, and that is what is getting old.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, I've gotten a few direct replies
regarding opportunities at companies and that is very appreciated.

Rob Steenwyk
rsteenwyk at gmail.com
616-723-0226