[GRLUG] Job searches - any good tips?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 13:01:18 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Rob Steenwyk <rsteenwyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently employed, but in the interest of keeping my options open have
> been looking around for any open Sys Admin position in West Michigan.
> Haven't had much luck. I've been looking on Craigslist, Dice.com and the
> classifieds in the GR Press. It seems that the few jobs that are available
> in IT are either entry level helpdesk type stuff, or high level engineering
> positions. I just want to by a Sys Admin. If I expand my search to the
> Lansing area, it seems like there are many more opportunities.. it just
> seems odd, Grand Rapids is a larger market. I'm wondering if I'm not looking
> in the right place.
>
> Most of my experience is with Windows, although I do have limited experience
> with Linux but not at a level where I could honestly say, "Yeah I can handle
> your 20 Linux boxes!". In the Windows world I am very proficient, can setup
> a new network from scratch with no problems, batch scripts, GPO,
> backup/restores, all that fun stuff :)
>
> So I ask you GRLUG, what sites/resources have you found useful in looking
> for jobs in the Grand Rapids area?

In direct answer to the question...I don't know where best to find a
listing for that kind of position. Partially because I've never tried
looking for a position like that, but more because I think sysadmins
are 'grown', rather than 'hired'. Small shops' sysadmins will be
promoted 'computer guy' scenarios. Larger shops would require
higher-end engineering skills and experience.

Your best bet in looking for a lateral move might be to try big, big
organizations like colleges, Amway, JCI or Spectrum Health. As much
infrastructure as they have, they can probably use someone with
provable skill and reliability. Try their HR departments, and then see
if you know anyone who'd pass along your resume.

Typically, though, even large organizations will want to hire their
higher-level employees from their pool of kids who were there two or
three years ago running cable and fixit fast footwork.

Personally, I think you shouldn't count on lateral moves; while you
don't have to always seek higher position, you should always seek
higher skill. Some of the saddest cases I know were folks who were
highly technically competent twenty years ago, but can't get anywhere
today because they settled and didn't want to continue picking up
skills. Some are playing catch-up so they can be current in the
workforce, others are to the point where they ought to be considering
changing careers.