[GRLUG] Job searches - any good tips?

Rob Steenwyk rsteenwyk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 12:49:50 EDT 2011

I am currently employed, but in the interest of keeping my options open have
been looking around for any open Sys Admin position in West Michigan.
Haven't had much luck. I've been looking on Craigslist, Dice.com and the
classifieds in the GR Press. It seems that the few jobs that are available
in IT are either entry level helpdesk type stuff, or high level engineering
positions. I just want to by a Sys Admin. If I expand my search to the
Lansing area, it seems like there are many more opportunities.. it just
seems odd, Grand Rapids is a larger market. I'm wondering if I'm not looking
in the right place.

Most of my experience is with Windows, although I do have limited experience
with Linux but not at a level where I could honestly say, "Yeah I can handle
your 20 Linux boxes!". In the Windows world I am very proficient, can setup
a new network from scratch with no problems, batch scripts, GPO,
backup/restores, all that fun stuff :)

So I ask you GRLUG, what sites/resources have you found useful in looking
for jobs in the Grand Rapids area?

Rob Steenwyk
rsteenwyk at gmail.com
616-723-0226